Sunday 26 February 2012

I'm not sure I've ever worked this hard.

As you may or may not have read from previous posts, due to a serious difference of opinion between myself and the old bosses son, the wife and myself decided that rather than punch the guy out it would be better for us to change roles until the youngest starts school.

Initially this was fine but I have found myself picking up a lot of commissions for artwork recently so blogging my gardening exploits has had to take a back step, as looking after the house, school runs and cooking as well as allowing time for the art does not leave much time for messing on the computer. However the plus side is that I am finally drawing again and back pursuing what I am really good at.

So with a decent weekend on the cards I have been getting the garden and greenhouse into shape. I have moved a red and blackberry which were just planted in the wrong positions. This has then given me the chance to move some additional shrubs about so in a few weeks I'll be able to see the gaps and address them accordingly. Today's task will involve cleaning down all my trays and pots for a weekend of sowing next week and a good wash down of the greenhouse with Jeyes fluid and all in time for today's rugby. ( Incidentally, we were robbed by that cheating Kiwi pig of a ref, the ball was bloody grounded. Inconclusive my arse!)

So as promised this years planting list includes:

Thompson and Morgan

Crimson flowered broad beans
Sungold tomato
Yukon Gold, Harlequin and Pink fir apple potatoes
An assortment of herbs and salad leaves and radish.

Kings

Giant red celery
Detroit white, Golden and Chioggia beetroot
Tender and True parsnip
Oregon Sugar pod mangetout
Rosa di Verona radicchio

Shelleys 

New red intermediate carrot  ( should I ever get around to getting the damn pipes)

Organic Gardening

Flower sprouts
Yellowstone, White satin, Purple haze carrots.
Yellow Zucchini

DT Brown

San Marzano (for sauces), cream sausages and Bloody butcher tomatoes

Now a lot of this is new but some are tried and tested. The yellowstone and purple haze carrots were the best I have ever tasted along with Tender and True parsnip. However the tomatoes are something a little different to add into my collection of heritage varieties and general hunt for the ultimate tomato salad.

2 comments:

  1. Purple Haze really is a super red carrot. I tried Purple Dragon last year and it wasn't in the same league, so it's back to Haze this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, we realy enjoyed the flavour of them, closely followed by the yellowstones. Thats why we thought we would have a bash a the white satin as well, as the others just seemed to have so much more taste than the standard orange. what were those fantastic chilli you grew last year, I've never seen a yield like that? ant to see if I can pick up a pack. Cheers

    ReplyDelete